Monday 26 August 2013

Ogre Kingdoms - First Impressions

So I wrote the previous post a while ago, but since then I have actually had the opportunity to take out my Ogres along with a smattering of unpainted/part assembled Ogre models to play a handful of 1000 point games!

In all of these games I ran the following list (as memory serves)

8 Ironguts
6 Ogre Bulls
6 Leadbelchers
1 Gorger
1 Butcher (dispel scroll)

I thought I'd share my first impressions!

1st Game: 1000 points vs Chaos Warriors

I was Concerned about this as they play to pretty much all of the Ogres weaknesses. But I was hit with some luck, I cast Braingobbler on the Chaos Knights in turn 1 they failed their Panic test and fled the board! Woop woop! I got the charge on the chariot with my Bulls and my Ironguts Leadbelchers and Gorger front/flank/rear charged his warriors! It was a complete victory by turn 3, but I can't put this down to skill! What I did learn was that panic tests are always worth forcing, and Ogres can do some serious damage to Chaos Warriors if they get the charge, but i wouldn't have fancied my odds without the impact hits to start the combat. Also that Leadbelchers are the ultimate weapon against lone characters, as the Chaos Sorcer found out on turn 1 standing in the open and taking a full quota of shots from my unit.


2nd Game: 1000 points vs Lizardmen

The game started off looking grim, my Bulls fleeing the field after the Skinks+Kroxigor dominated them in combat, My leadbelchers getting splatted by rocks from the Terradons, and the Stegadon surviving 2 rounds of shooting from the Leadbelcher fire.
Luckily later in the game my Ironguts and Gorger and Butcher combined to destroy the Saurus, the Leadbelchers finished off the Terradons.
The game hung on a knife edge until the end when all that was left was, the Skink Shaman, and 2 Kroxigor on the Lizardmen, with only the Gorger, and Butcher for me. after around 8 turns I just clinched it finishing off the Kroxigor. (we played until no one had any models left because it was so close - and what fun it was)


3rd Game: 1000 points vs Lizardmen

This game started very different I managed to get a charge in excess of 10 rolled from my ironguts straight in to the stegadon, the Gorger turned up early and followed them in, the bulls charged the skins with kroxigor, by the 3rd turn the ironguts and Gorger had overran through the dead Stegadon, into the Skinks destroyed them with the Bulls, they collectively then ran into the Skink shaman, slaying him. the game quickly turned into a complete route for the Lizardmen. I later found out I'd used the ambusher rules wrong, I'd been commiting charges on the turn the Gorger arrived... Its not a rule I'm familiar with so after establishing how it works, I've begun to think that its not such a great model, so its not one I think I'll commit to completing in the future. 

So in a nutshell I've learned that Ogres can successfully carry a ranged threat, are as predicted decent in combat - but not great! The characters are tough! Lastly that the Magic lore is pretty poor except for the Signature spell (unless you roll Trollguts). I think I'll either have to use a double Firebelly setup or  double Butchers have the vanilla Level 1 Butcher with dispell scroll and Spinemarrow if I dont roll trollguts, then the Level 4 with either Lore of Beasts or Heavens. 

Next up this week....

1500 points vs Chaos Warriors (different opponent to last time)

No comments:

Post a Comment